Donato Bramante, Tempietto (Church of San Pietro, Montorio, Rome, Italy), 1502-10; dome and lantern restored in 17th century
From Art History, Volume II by M. Stokstad:
Work came slowly for Bramante in Rome and he was nearing sixty when the Spanish rulers Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand commissioned a small shrine over the spot in Rome where the apostle Peter was believed to have been crucified. Known as the Tempietto (Little Temple), Bramante combined his interpretation with the principles of Vitruvius and the fifteenth-century architect, Leon Battista Alberti: the stepped base, Doric columns, frieze (Vitruvius advised the the Doric order be used for temples to gods of forceful character) and balustrade. The centralized plan and tall drum (circular wall supporting the dome) recall earth Christain shrines. Especially noted is the sculptural effect of the exterior, with deep niches, light contrasts and Dorice frieze of papal emblems.